All meetings 7.00pm Buffet Talks start at 7.30 unless otherwise stated. Small Dental lecture Theatre, UHW
- September 14th Wednesday AGM and Presidential address;
Dr Alan Stone
Medicine without the tools – a personal experience of medicine at the extremes
- October 4th Tuesday. Doctors as patients, do we get special treatment and is that always a good thing?
• Dr Lorna Tapper Jones, Dr Ruth Stone, Dr Chris Gildersleve
- November 1st Tuesday. Lecture and tour of Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre – unlocking the secrets of the Brain.
A fascinating glimpse behind the state of the art brain research establishment and to view Europe’s most powerful brain scanner - the Siemens 3 Tesla Connectom MRI system.
Maindy Road, CF24 4HQ
- December 7th Wednesday. An inspirational Profession – why we went to Medical School?
• Beth Shelvey, Medical Student – Running an orphanage in Kenya
• Hallam Amos, Medical Student – combining an International and Rugby career and a Medical Career
• Prof Sir Mansel Aylward, his experience at the Aberfan disaster as a medical student. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the disaster
- January 10th Tuesday. Medicine at the cutting edge.
Three presentations on exciting new developments in medicine and surgery
• Dr Marcus Coffey, Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology, Personalised drug therapy
• Dr Peter O’Callaghan, Consultant Cardiologist, Interventional Cardiology
• Mr Krishna Narahari, Consultant Urologist, Robotic Surgery
- February 8th Wednesday. Tripartite meeting in Cardiff
• Lt Col Leigh Davies on his experiences in Afghanistan.
• Dr Gethin Ellis - ‘Is My ‘eart Normal, Butt’
• Dr Meirion Llewelyn - 'Yellow Fever in Wales – about to make a comeback?'
- March 7th Tuesday Student research awards.
Student presentations for the Cardiff Medical Society Health Care Prize. Awarded to a medical student or junior doctor who has undertaken, as a medical student, a project that has contributed to an improvement in health care. This is an opportunity to hear about exciting new developments.
- April 5th Wednesday Research Presentation evening
Specialist Registrars from around Wales present the highlights of research going on in Wales to improve the health of the nation. A glimpse into different specialisms and cutting edge research.
- May Annual dinner